Thursday, February 26, 2009

Coraline


I had the chance to watch Coraline today at work. This is a great little film. Beautiful in many ways. This film does what any great animated film does, it creates a whole world we believe in and tells a great story within that world. The music is great as well. The story is not as solid as one would hope, but I felt that the film made up for those shortcomings in charm. I can't get the film out of my head either which to me is great. It's getting better and better as time passes from my initial viewing. I encourage you to check it out and support LAIKA in their endeavor to create a new and alternative studio to the major players Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks.
(Please be aware that this film is not for the very young, the phrase "Parental Discretion is Advised" is appropriate here)

Not particularly important or relevant to the film itself, but I found this pretty cool...

(Click image to enlarge)

...for those who don't know much about the history of LAIKA, the company that produced the film, it is the current incarnation of Will Vinton Studios and is currently being supported by Nike founder Phil Kinght. I thought the connection with Nike was interesting and it's fun to see them celebrate the connection in this manner. Seems appropriate. (And that illustration of Coraline in the shoes is awesome!)

1 comment:

Josh Kenfield said...

Katie and I loved this film and we watched it in 3D! It was a beautiful piece of animation and I felt a good adaptation of the book, which I read. Keep it coming LAIKA!