Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Picture!


I'll make this quick because I should get to my homework and I am exhausted.

I'm thrilled Slumdog took home 8 Oscars! Well earned!!
La Maison en Petits Cubes was not only nominated BUT IT WON!!!!
Though my own personal ballot would have looked different, overall there is not a lot to argue with.


The show itself was great as well. I like the changes they made. Hugh Jackman was a great host. I liked the classy and classic feel. I really enjoyed the opening musical number. I also liked the way they presented several awards in related groups and by past winners. I also really enjoyed the "preview" of films coming out this year that ran at the very end of the program. It was a nice way to look forward having just celebrated the year past. The only real blip in the program was bringing the ever so smug Bill Maher on. What was it he said after the Man on Wire winners walked away? "They didn't deserve to win it for that." or something along those lines. The only thing more pathetic than Bill Maher himself is Bill Maher thinking he made a "documentary" and complaining on stage at the Oscars that it didn't get nominated.

As I said, in general a great year overall! I'm going to go for no guts no glory and try give a shot at two predictions for next year...

Best Picture: Michael Mann's Public Enemies against Clint Eastwood's Untitled Nelson Mandela film.
For Best Animated Feature: I think Disney is going to have a great year and end up competing entirely against it's self: Pixar's Up, Disney's The Princess and the Frog, and Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. (Disney dubs and distributes Studio Ghibli films in the US)

No comments: