Monday, July 11, 2011

Super 8


I saw Super 8 this evening at work. To put it simply I LOVED IT! I was reminded that I am living out my childhood dream. I make a living making movies! I grew up in a in a town a few hours north of Los Angeles and dreamed of making movies from a fairly young age. This was in the pre-internet and pre-DVD days so I ate up TV specials about the making of movies (in particular Movie Magic), listened to soundtracks endlessly, bought Cinefex regularly from the local book store, and scoured the library for books about the making of films. When this film began with a group of kids trying to make their own film I immediately connected. I won't pour over the plot details because I wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it. I will say that you can certainly see the fingerprints of both J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg all over this film. It is a wonderful film and the perfect summer movie.

No comments: