Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

This is a tough one for me. I was really looking forward to it and I really wanted to it be amazing beyond all belief, but I couldn't help but feel let down walking out of the theater. I was working at Disneyland when the original premiered. I had absolutely no interest in it when it was released. In fact I thought it was dumb that they made a movie out of the ride. A few weeks after its release there was a cast screening at Downtown Disney so I decided to take Annie to go see it, being free and all. Well needless to say I enjoy it tremendously. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the film turned out as a whole. With that being said I was eagerly anticipating the sequel. Its not a bad film by any means, in fact there is a lot of really great things about it. But ultimately the thing that bugs me the most about it was that it felt really incomplete. Now I know that Disney is making a trilogy out of the films, which is great, but the film needs to have some sort of closure and I felt none whatsoever. Also it felt like the filmmakers were trying to hard to create a mythology for the series and it ended up being at the expense of a more complete individual film. I have a feeling that when I see it again on video that I will like it a little more. It is still growing on me even now. I think that is more because I want to like it, but at least I'm being honest with my self about it.

Beyond my personal qualms the film looked amazing. Fantastic production design and the VFX were some of the best this year so far. Davey Jones and his crew look absolutely stunning. ILM did a top notch job in bringing the characters to life in such a way that we forget we are seeing something completely unreal. Kudos!

To get a breakdown of the plot check out the wikipedia entry on the film here.
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/pirates/

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Kenfield said...

Overall I was able to enjoy this film but it wasn't easy. Aside from some of the hard to understand accents , the major problem I had was that the story didn't seem like it was focused in a certain direction or style. You had 2 almost completely different worlds that seemed to exist in there own realms. You had the whole situation with the East Indian Trading company (which actually existed) set in a realistic world. Then there was the world of Davey Jones where everything was fantastic, highly stylized, and at time almost cartoonish. I was not able to see the bridges they were making to connect these 2 extremes in the film.
I was able to relax and just enjoy the ride (no pun intended), after all I wasn't paying to see a high quality drama. I really liked the look of Davey Jones and his ship, not to mention the location of the voodoo witch doctor. Unique, creative, and fun ideas. I really enjoyed it whenever they showed tributes to the ride, such as the fireflies.
This was a fun film but not as good as the first.