Sunday, November 06, 2005

Chicken Little


Yesterday I went to see Disney's Chicken Little in "Disney Digital 3D" and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the experience. First the movie. I thought it was a fun and funny little family movie. With equal doses of humor and heart I think Disney did a pretty good job with the story. Don't listen to what the critics are saying, it's a decent film. Most of the criticism aimed at the film is because of its pop culture references and while they are there I don't think the film relies solely on them for its humor. Visually it is was amazing. I love how they stylized the town and characters. Lots of straights against curves and nary a parallel line to be found in the film. I loved it. Its right up there with Madagascar for me as far as design goes. Well done Disney!

Now the 3D experience. Disney is calling it "Disney Digital 3D" but its not technology that is proprietary to Disney. I won't go into the details of the technology but I will say that it was mighty impressive. I saw The Polar Express in IMAX 3D last year and while it was impressive it pales in comparison to this. There was no ghosting of the images and no eye strain (for me at least). It was in a word Fantastic! I hope that other studios get on board and start projecting films this way. I heard that Lucasfilm is converting all six Star Wars film to be projected in this format and I am looking forward to the day when those are released, maybe my daughter will be old enough and I can take her to see them in the theaters! :0)

To sum it up I think Disney did a pretty good with Chicken Little and I look forward to what they have in store for us in the future. Go check it out in theaters if you have the time.

No comments: