Monday, October 04, 2010

Danny Elfman & Tim Burton Music Box


I would love to get my hands on one of the 1000 of these being made!! At $499 it doesn't seem like I will be obtaining one, but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for this set!

Some personal background on my appreciation for Danny Elfman...
I am a big fan of musical scores going all the way back to before high school. Back before this age of digital distribution and iTunes it wasn't very easy to obtain musical scores beyond the mainstream ones found in the music section at Target. In the early to mid 90's Blockbuster experimented with the music business by opening stores called Blockbuster Music appropriately enough. My favorite thing about these stores was that there was a "music bar" in the store, which was basically a counter with multiple listening stations, and they would open and let you listen to any CD they sold for free! I loved this placed and I constantly begged my parents to take me there to listen to music for hours on end. This is where my love for motion picture scores was cultivated. Eventually I came across a compilation CD set called Music for a Darkened Theatre, Vol. 2: Film and Television Music by Danny Elfman. I saved up my money from mowing the lawn and bought it. To say I listened to it constantly would be an understatement. I did my homework while listening to it. I listened to it while I daydreamed and while I slept. Chances were good that if I were in my bedroom or had headphones on this is what I was listening to. I had by no means a bad home or family life, but as a teenager you often want to escape the pressures of the changing world around you and Danny Elfman's music was one of my escapes.


You can find out more info on the box set here:

There is a video promo for the set here:

You can find more info on the "Music for a Darkened Theatre" compilation here:
Music for a Darkened Theatre, Vol. 2: Film and Television Music (Amazon link)

No comments: