Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memories of 9/11

Title mock up for a project I hope to undertake over the next year.

I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge reflect on the loss our nation suffered nine years ago today. Time has not reduced it's impact on me. Leading up to today I have seen many documentaries on television and each time I stop, even if for only a few minutes, I am brought back to that place of deep sorrow. The Terrorist Attack of September 11, 2001 is something that is seared into the consciousness of my generation. I find that often when it is brought up everyone has a story they want to tell.  So often we find ourselves in "where were you when the towers were hit" type conversations. Everyone seems to vividly remember where we were and what was happening at the time that it all took place. It occurred to me that my kids, both born after 9/11/01, don't know about these things. They don't know the emotional impact that it had on their parents and all other Americans who lived through it. They are too young to really take it in now, but I have decided to share our story with them and make a mini documentary of sorts. They will learn about it in school and the world around them as they grow up, but I want them to know how it affected us. I have a few different ideas about how to execute it and I hope to have it done by next year which will be the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Though I will create it now I don't plan on showing it to them until they are teenagers. Maybe I'll show it to them on the 15th or 20th anniversary? I don't know for certain.

I pray for our nation in this time of mourning and reflection... I pray for growth. For healing. For transformation. And most of all for Peace.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Beautifully written. I look forward to working on the project with you.