Monday, January 09, 2006

Bionic Ear


One of my biggest fears is losing my sight and/or hearing. As an artist and a person who works with media in particular I find the thought I losing these senses tragic. If this were to ever happen to me I'm sure I would be able to adapt over time, but that's not the point of this though. I read an interesting article in Wired about a man who was obsessed with the classical song Bolero and who suddenly lost all of his hearing. Here in an excerpt:

"And then, on July 7, 2001, at 10:30 am, I lost my ability to hear Bolero - and everything else. While I was waiting to pick up a rental car in Reno, I suddenly thought the battery in my hearing aid had died. I replaced it. No luck. I switched hearing aids. Nothing."

The article follows him on his journey through technology that enables him to hear the song he thought he had lost forever. It's an interesting read.
My Bionic Quest for Bolero

No comments: